This is Shelby, the Rescue Sheltie!!  He is 4 years old, and adopted me 2 years ago.  He has never had any rescue training, but on Wed. night, 11/24/10, he got help for me!!

I have been having blood pressure problems and my Dr. is trying to regulate it via meds.  He had given me new rx he wanted me to take at night, which I did.  I had been outside with Shelby, and when I walked back into the house, I fainted with no advance symptoms; totally loosing consciousness.

Shelby ran upstairs to my neighbors’ back door, and barked til he woke their dog up, who in turn, woke them up, (it was 1:30 AM).  They looked out, saw Shelby, and knew something was wrong.  When they opened the door, he immediately turned and ran back downstairs, where they found me and called the EMTs.  When they opened their back door, they say he only stopped once on his way back downstairs to look over his shoulder at them, as if to say “are you coming or not?”

I live alone and he is my constant companion, now he is my hero as well!!

What a wonderful story Theresa & we are happy to hear you are OK!

34 Responses to “Sheltie hero!”

1. Ann Marie

It seems to me that Theresa hardly ‘ lives alone.’ She’s got one of the greatest companions you could ask for!!

2. denny

Great story. Goes to show how much shelties love their humans. not that other dogs dont but they know the difference between a playful and serious situation

3. Tricia

I *love* this story! What a smart & precious dog Shelby is!

PS ~ I hope you’re OK now, Theresa!

4. Laura

I’m a HUGE Sheltie lover (I’ve now been blessed to have had two remarkable Shelties in my life). I also have a Border Collie, and while the BCs are definitely smart (in a different kind of way), the Shelties are definitely more intuitive and into their people. It doesn’t surprise me at all that this sweet (and gorgeous!) little guy reacted the way he did – he knew his mother was in trouble, needed help, and he went to work to get it. Bless the both of you, that little Shelby certainly loves you, so you must be very special, too! This is an incredible example of why these little dogs are sooo addictive. =)

5. Victoria Carvajal

What a great story – Shelties are such great empaths and they don’t hesitate when they think action is needed. What a blessing that your baby “adopted” you – congrats to you on giving such a loving home to Shelby!

6. Maida Farrar

What a really wonderful story! I am so glad for you, that you had Shelby to protect you. I have always thought Shelties were definitely the most sensitive dogs in the whole world. They are never given enough credit by the so-called “experts” for their intelligence and ability to actually teach themselves. Not tricks but things that require true intelligence.

Bless your precious Shelby for taking such good care of you and bless all the wonderful Shelties in this world. I agree with Lisa–they are our guardian angels.

7. Donna

I could cry….one good deed deserves another! Shelby says, you rescued him and he rescued you!!! Pay it forward.

8. Lynette

What a beautiful story – it brought a tear to my eye. I have a 4 year old collie, also named Shelby, but she is a girl. Your Shelby is beautiful as is mine!

Isn’t it wonderful that these beautiful gifts from God, can love us as deeply as we love them?

I wish you both a long and loving life together!!!!

9. Michele Parton-Parker

What a wonderful story & a absolutely darling Sheltie. With all the bad news out there, this “double” rescue story is refreshing. Good boy Shelby for rescuing your mom! You are a true hero, and bless you Theresa for rescuing Shelby.

• paula

I loved your story…thank you for sharing about it. It is a miracle that Shelby was brought into your life. Take care (both you and Shelby)

10. Lisa

Shelby is livning proof of the saying “I asked for a guardian angel and they sent me a Sheltie instead.” I hope you are feeling much better today!

11. Jennifer

AWESOME story! Shelties are so smart and so loyal!!!!! Thanks for sharing that with us!

12. Bobbie

I love this story and what a GORGEOUS sheltie boy! And it just goes to show an adopted, adult dog will bond with you just as strong as a puppy will!

13. Rachel

What a great story with a happy ending. Shelby is such a wonderful dog & you are both blessed to have each other!

14. Robin Hall

Awesome Companion, great story, and glad about the good outcome, pass along lots of hugs & treats.

15. Mary Lou Foster

What a great story, just proving what we already knew, the shelties are smart, loyal and loving members of our family.

16. Ann

What an incredible dog! You are very fortunate to have such a great companion. All four of the shelties I have had in my lifetime so far, have all been from sheltie rescues or humane societies. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

17. Paulette Domingo

That is such a precious story. Shelties are truly wonderful companions and so incredibly smart too. Thanks for sharing.

18. Ann

What a great story, and what a loyal and smart boy Shelby is! I’m sure he got lots of extra treats and pats for his heroism. You are very lucky to have each other! Thanks for sharing this inspiring story.

19. Julia

What a wonderful story. I also have a beautiful Sheltie, also named Shelby, but a girl. I hope she is as caring and smart as your Shelby. I also have a boy Sheltie named Jax. He will lick me when he can sense that I am having a low blood sugar. They are truly amazing dogs. So happy to know our heros are so intuitive!

Good luck, Kelly, with your health!

Julia, Jim, Shelby and Jax.

20. Jennifer

What a wonderful story. Hugs, kisses, and extra treats to Shelby! I hope you are feeling better!

21. P.Snyder

I’ve had 3 Shelties & I’ve learned from all of them that they’re smart enough to train themselves to do this sort of thing. Each of my Shelties sensed that I’m deaf & adjusted their behavior to that with no special training. I’ve always known when the phone rings, when someone is around, when something isn’t right because they’ve told me. One alerted me to an intruder when I was by myself at night, 2 of them became storm warning dogs, alerting me to severe weather long before it’s actually here. If there is any dog smart enough to do this sort of thing it’s a Sheltie, & often they need little or no training to get the idea. Theresa, how lucky you are that you & Shelby found each other & that you were enough to be adopted by one of the smartest breeds in the world.

This story just reinforces the fact that rescue shelties are just as wonderful as one you would purchase. I have 3 rescues and I would not give them up. It brought a tear to my eye to read this touching story. God had a plan for both of you!

23. ml

What a beautiful story with a happy ending and a
    beautiful SMART Shelby–what an amazing dog!! So glad
    your OK thanks to Shelby!! Hope you both have many more wonderful years together!!

Marylou

24. Alyssa

Absolutley AMAZING. Thank you for sharing. Im glad you are ok! Animals, but dogs imparticular don’t get enought credit for thier intelligance.

25. steffy vinson

What a beautiful hero.He deserves alot of love & affection, new toys and treats.