Bear whom we adopted from Sheltie Shack Rescue in Blue Rapids, Kansas, in 2003 at the age of 7, made his way to the Rainbow Bridge in the wee morning hours of April 13, 2012 at the age of 15 ½. We miss him so much! It’s just not the same for his two baby “sisters,” Mimi and Mabel, also adopted from Sheltie Shack Rescue. Rest in peace, beautiful boy. We will always love you.

Hugs to you Casey for giving Bear a wonderful life. I know there is snow in Sheltie heaven! :)

31 Responses to “Snow Bear”

1. Becky

What a beautiful boy. Tears came to my eyes as I recall how difficult it was when I lost my 4 year old “Cody” to lymphoma. I know your heart aches as mine did and still does 4 years later! Know how loved he was.. and treasure each moment ya’ll had together. My beautiful Cooper helped with the void of losing Sweet Cody but each sheltie is so unique and special in his/her own way-none are easily forgotten-nor should they be!
    Take Care,
    Becky-Coopers Mom

2. Shannon

It was so wonderful that you rescued him and had the pleasure of his company for so many years. My late mother introduced our family to the wonderful breed by bringing Sadie, a beautiful tri into our lives. Sadly, she lost Sadie at age 8. Sadie went over the Rainbow Bridge with her head on mother’s lap. It took 3 years for mother to get over losing Sadie. We had searched for Shelties in Virginia and North Carolina and I bought Ceilidh a sable. My mother kept her for me for six weeks, and then decided she was ready for another girl. My sister and I gave her Penny, and mother had her for four months. Penny came to join Ceilidh with me, and they are my special girls. I am sorry for your loss. but hold it in you heart that you and your lovely boy will be reunited.

3. leslie

I am just so sorry and sad about your sweet boy. Bear’s eyes show the love and trust he had in you. It’s going to be a long time before you stop hurting everyday. Take care.

4. jack (chewys') and (repunzel's) dad

When Bear reached Rainbow Bridge, I am sure he crossed over with the warm feeling of the love you had for him.
    Bless you for all the love you generasly gave him!
    LOL

5. Judy

Heartfelt sympathy to you for the loss of Bear. Thank you for sharing this beautiful boy with us. He will live in your heart always. While it does take some time for sure, the wonderful memories you have will one day replace the sadness and Bear will again brighten your days. We have them forever, you know. Blessings to you.

6. Barb (Brandi & Brady's mom)

What a beautiful Sable Sheltie boy! He was so lucky to have been adopted into your wonderful home and enjoy a happy life thereafter!

Your pictures and memories will help to give you peace as you cope with this loss, as welll as knowing that you will see him once again at Rainbow Bridge!

Hugs!!!

7. Robert

My condolescences to you. My heart was shattered about two and a half months ago whenI lost my little girl, Lucy, who was 14 1/2 years old. I know she us waiting at the Rainbow Bridge, too.

8. John

Such a sweet expression. Sorry to see of your loss. It’s hard to see them leave.

9. Ann

What a cute little angel boy Bear is. I am sure he is watching over you now and your other shelties. All of my shelties have been rescues, too, they all have their stories and quirks, but I would not have it any other way. Yes, at first you have the tears when you look at the pictures, but in time, you will remember what a blessing he was and be grateful and joyful that you had the time you did with him. My condolences are with you and your family. One day, you will see him again.

10. Danny's mommy

Awww little Snow Bear you brought so much joy and love with you into your home. You are greatly missed. At 7 1/2 yrs. old your life was just beginning with your new family. You are proof that the best kept secret in rescue is that adopting an older sheltie will bring more love and companionship beyond your wildest dreams. Sheltie Shack Rescue knows this and has a soft spot for older shelties.

11. Julie (aka MaggieMae)

I am so sorry for your loss – the grief is painful beyond measure. Hugs to all of you in this very sad time and hope you can picture Bear running free and easy while he waits for you.

12. Tif

They are such a joy to have in our lives! I’m so sorry for your loss! But I am truly grateful in MY OWN heart that you loved that little one so much! That is all they want…love! Blessings to you and your family!

What a beautiful Sheltie he was, and so fortunate to have such a loiving family! He was and is an Angel Bear! Bear has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge to play with his other Angels, and waiting at the other side!
    Thankyou for giving Bear such a wonderful life!

LOL

14. jAN hUNTER

What a beautiful sheltie! Reading about him brings tears to my eyes for you and for the 6 shelties I have had who crossed the same bridge over many years. Thank you for giving him a wonderful home and I am so sorry for your loss.

15. In Memory of TenBear (Sheltie)

My condolences on your loss. I know, it hurts beyond words…

My local Animal Humane Society and my local University have Pet Loss Support Groups. I went to the former, and found it to be very helpful.

16. Peggy

He is so precious, we lost our 1st sheltie at 10 y/o and know how very hard it is! We now have 3 more, and love them all so much!
    God Bless you for adopting this little guy, I know he had a wonderful home!

17. Valerie

What a handsome, handsome gentleman sheltie — and what a precious gift to have had him until 15-1/2! Thank you for rescuing.

18. Sandra D.

What a sweet, precious face… and what a hole his leaving must have left in your heart. I know it doesn’t seem so right now, but after a while the time will come when seeing that picture will bring smiles instead of tears. For me today, it brought tears. My condolences on your loss…

19. Bobbie

What a beautiful boy! I know you gave him THE best forever home, just like you’re giving his sisters. Bless you three times over for adopting!

20. Susan

My heart goes out to you! We lost three Shelties one year apart. Very sad.

Good to know you have two others to hug at night, and thanks for adopting. Two of our current three were adopted from local sheltie rescues AND we’re considering fostering for the first time.

21. Lum (Shadow's mom)

What a beautiful boy you have there, forever in your hearts.
    We are sad for your loss.

22. Jo

So sorry for your loss. Bear looked like a charmer! I assume he loved snow like most shelties, he’s covered himself with it in the picture. Hope he’s having fun over the rainbow bridge.

23. Auntie "Sheltie Shack" Linda

I second this with three “Sheltie” hugs to this wonderful and loving Rescue supporting family.

We so often comment on the fortunate shelties that are welcomed into their “forever” family’s homes, but I want to add that I have been blessed with an extended SHELTIE FAMILY that compares to non other. I’m also very blessed.

Beautiful Bear….I’ll never forget you or the many wonderful stories I recieved over the last 9 years. This story should also be a testimant to why more people should consider adopting a 7+ year old sheltie without fear.

• Ann Acuff

Well said, Linda! As a fellow sheltie rescuer, I know all too well how it hurts us when one of our dogs goes to the Bridge, no matter how long they are gone from our care!

Casey,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I started to cry looking into Snow Bear’s face. I know your heart is shattered. My heart felt condolences to you and your family. I know too well how the loss of a special sheltie impacts your life. You gave him many great years and a rescue sheltie understands the love even more.

They say memories are golden
    Well maybe that is true
    I never wanted memories
    I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you
    a million times I cried
    If love alone could have saved you
    you never would have died.

In life I loved you deeply
    In death I love you still
    In my heart you hold a place
    no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
    and memories a lane,
    I’d walk right up to heaven
    to bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken
    and nothing seems the same
    But as God calls us one by one…
    the chain will link again.

Remembering you is easy,
    I do it every day,
    But there’s an ache within my heart
    That will never go away

25. Gail

Thank you for being a sheltie rescuer. They bring such joy to our lives. This is a beautiful picture of Bear.

26. Nancy Morgan

You have my sympathy. I know what it is like to lose a best friend! It hurts for a very long while. Just thinking about it makes me remember our Katie who we lost 4 years ago. Shelties are just so loyal and attached. It’s like having another shadow. I hope your other two shelties will comfort you.

What a beautiful Angel Bear has made. I could say RIP, but that is useless, they get to become healthy, young and whole again and can now run and play forever. Anyone else jealous?

• Ann Acuff

How beautiful he was! I know your heart is broken. You WILL see him again someday!