Thank you everyone for the wonderful well wishes for Toby today!  All your collective Sheltie karma must be working because the doctor called me a little while ago and wants to postpone the surgery!  He would like us to try one last drug treatment with prednisone for 7-10 days and re-check his heart at that time. If we see no improvement in his heart function or his cough then we will reschedule his surgery day.

Thank you again everyone for the well wishes and I’ll update everyone with how he is doing on the medication in a few days.

7:00PM UPDATE: We just got back home and Toby is resting in his favorite spot – in front of a fan. Boy was he happy to see me! Before we left the cardiologist took a bit of time to re-explain why he chose to change his course of treatment at the last minute. He wanted to make absolutely sure that there was nothing else we could do for him except the pacemaker. Toby will be on the prednisone for a week and then he would like me to bring him back for another cardiac evaluation. That is scheduled for next week on the 15th. If that scan shows no improvement and Toby’s activity level also does not improve over the course of this coming week, then we will know for sure that a pacemaker is the only option.  I will post an update on the evening of the 15th and let you all know how it goes and if surgery has been re-scheduled. So tomorrow it is back to the regular SN programming! ;)

I want to thank you for all your prayers and well wishes today. It made all the difference. Hugs to you all!

17 Responses to “Toby Update”

1. Judy

My prayers are with you & Toby for the best possible results. It sounds like he is in good hands with a careful, caring vet. I know he is very well loved.
    Sending healing energy your way. We all know how precious our babies are.
    Also asking St. Francis to protect Toby.

2. Becky

Kelly,
    We are praying for your sweet Toby! He reminds me so much of our 5 year old “Coop Coop”. I would be worried sick too-he is lucky to have a Mom like you to get him the best care available.. we would do that for our baby too.
    I know he is in the best hands and hope he can avoid surgery if at all possible. . Keep us posted…
    Becky (Coops Mom)

3. Ann

That is good news ,now if it works that will be great .Thought about you all today. Continue praying for a good result with the new meds. :) Can wait to hear the news next week . Keep strong all.Ann ,Soleil and Etoile.

4. Marsha

I certainly hope the drugs work. If they do not the pace maker could work a miracle. My dad had the similar situation and the pace maker extended his life atleast 3 years. Best of luck.

5. Marti

Best wishes and all of the prayers we can muster from me and the gang of four (Aoife, Robbie, Flash and AnnieFrannie) for little Toby and YOU!

6. Bobbie

Thanks for the update on Toby! Fingers and paws crossed you have MANY more wonderful years with him :)

7. Tina

Bless your beautiful little man. I believe he WILL conquer this. Loving prayers I will daily send to Toby and you!!! God Bless!

8. Sharon

This handsome and dapper young gentleman of a dog will, I know, pull through if surgery is warranted. Hopefully the pred will do the trick but if not, Asta ,Ally, Brooke and I are praying for him, and you too.

Best of luck, Mr. Toby! Hugs to you.

9. Tabitha

Wonderful news! I hope can live a long and happy life WITHOUT the pacemaker. I’ll be praying for you every day until he’s in the clear. Thanks for keeping us updated.
    BIG hugs to you and Toby! :D

10. Kimberly Agzigian

Fingers crossed – Prednisone is my go to drug when all else fails (Crohns). Hugs to you and Toby!!!

11. Cheryl

Bless You Toby! The power of prayer……. We’ll keep praying for a successful outcome with the prednisone.

12. Linda C

He is such a gorgeous boy! I’ll pray for a successful surgery, and many years of improved health!

• denise

Continued prayers going out for Mr. Toby’s restored health.

Please give him a hug from us. Thanks.

Way to go Toby, this is the second best news we could hear. First best news is that the prednisone works and there will be no pacemaker surgery.