Thank you everyone for the wonderful well wishes for Toby today! All your collective Sheltie karma must be working because the doctor called me a little while ago and wants to postpone the surgery! He would like us to try one last drug treatment with prednisone for 7-10 days and re-check his heart at that time. If we see no improvement in his heart function or his cough then we will reschedule his surgery day.
Thank you again everyone for the well wishes and I’ll update everyone with how he is doing on the medication in a few days.
7:00PM UPDATE: We just got back home and Toby is resting in his favorite spot – in front of a fan. Boy was he happy to see me! Before we left the cardiologist took a bit of time to re-explain why he chose to change his course of treatment at the last minute. He wanted to make absolutely sure that there was nothing else we could do for him except the pacemaker. Toby will be on the prednisone for a week and then he would like me to bring him back for another cardiac evaluation. That is scheduled for next week on the 15th. If that scan shows no improvement and Toby’s activity level also does not improve over the course of this coming week, then we will know for sure that a pacemaker is the only option. I will post an update on the evening of the 15th and let you all know how it goes and if surgery has been re-scheduled. So tomorrow it is back to the regular SN programming! ;)
I want to thank you for all your prayers and well wishes today. It made all the difference. Hugs to you all!