The Shetland Sheepdog is one of the most beautiful, smart, friendly, loyal, loving (and sometimes quirky!) dog breed. Shelties are very human-oriented, making them a very good choice for a family dog. If you socialize them early, they can be great with kids.
Normally standing at 13 to 16 inches tall and weighing 15 to 23 pounds, Shelties are a medium dog breed with a moderate need for exercise. Unlike some herding dogs with a strong drive to work, they don’t need constant stimulation. They are perfectly happy living in an apartment as well as a country residence – as long as you’re there to give them attention and some daily, moderate exercise. Shelties are very adaptable to a wide range of lifestyles.
Want to know more? Our Sheltie FAQ covers some of the most common questions about Shelties.
General Breed Questions
- What is a Sheltie’s temperament?
- How big are Shelties?
- Where does the Sheltie come from?
- Do Shelties really bark a lot?
- Debarking a Sheltie: A sensitive issue
- Where can I get a Sheltie?
- What are the Sheltie Coat Colors?
- Is a Sheltie considered a Miniature Collie?
- Kids & Shelties: The Rules
- Kid-proof your dogs; dog-proof your kids
- What do I do if my Sheltie is missing?
Puppies & Breeding
- I was thinking of breeding my Sheltie. Should I?
- At what age should I get a puppy?
- Where did YOUR puppy come from?
- Can I shave my Sheltie?
- Those Sheltie feet!
- Brush those Sheltie teeth!
- Does your Sheltie have bad breath?
Health, Medications & Food
- Shelties and Heartworm Medications
- Seizures and Heartworm Medications in Shelties
- Von Willebrand’s Disease (vWd) in Shelties
- ACE and the MDR1 Gene in Shelties
- Do you know what is in your Sheltie’s food?
- Tips for keeping your Sheltie safe
Items Toxic to Shelties
- Dog toxic xylitol in gums, mints, desserts … and now drugs
- Did you know? 10 things toxic to dogs.
- Did you know? Tea Tree Oil is toxic to dogs.
- 10 Most Common Poisonous Plants for Dogs
- There are over 700 plants that can be toxic to your dog!